Top 7 food and restaurant trends for 2023. ￼
January 5th, 2023 Reading Time: 3 mins
2023 is an exciting year for the foodservice industry. From mouthwatering food predictions to the latest restaurant trends, we’ve put together 7 of our top predictions for 2023.
2023 food trends:
1. Kelp wanted. Customers are seeking healthy, sustainable food with various benefits to include in their diets, making kelp the perfect addition to your menu this year. The taste is subtle, so it doesn’t overpower dishes, and it’s becoming increasingly popular in foods like noodles, salads, chips, and soups. It also replaces salt without adding sodium and is off-the-charts nutritious.
2. Pasta la vista, baby. More vegetables have entered the ring of pasta alternatives. The trend toward plant-based diets has led to a boom in noodles with ingredients like spaghetti squash, zucchini, and other produce. These noodles can provide a healthier alternative for guests compared to traditional wheat or rice pasta.
3. Time for an oil change. Avocado oil has a ton of health benefits and it’s getting the recognition it deserves this year. This versatile oil has a neutral flavour profile, which makes it an ideal substitute in mayonnaise, baked goods, and salad dressings. Use it to replace other oils like canola or vegetable in your cooking.
4. Butter up your menu.
Butter boards are causing quite the stir on TikTok these days. Imagine a charcuterie board that’s covered in butter. Toppings get added to the board, preparing it to be slathered onto French bread, crostini, or crackers. Butter boards can be garnished with anything from fruit to meats and cheese.
Here are some tasty topping suggestions:
- Fresh herbs like basil or chives
- Diced tomatoes
- Dried cranberries
- Pomegranate seeds
- Nuts like cashews, sunflower seeds, or walnuts
- Honey drizzle
- Bacon crumbles
2023 restaurant trends:
1. Clean eating is in.
New Year’s resolutions are often centred around a desire to eat healthier, which is part of the reason why the restaurant industry has seen a rise in “clean” eating conversations. This includes a rise in plant-based foods, as well as grass-fed and antibiotic-free meat.
2. Sustainability, to go.
A growing trend among consumers is sustainable food packaging, which includes compostable, recyclable, and reusable materials. And with the way the world is moving, that’s one trend that’ll be here to stay. People enjoy products with more environmentally friendly packaging, helping them reduce their carbon footprint.In 2022, Skip partnered with Friendlier, a sustainable food packing company that helps you bring fresh meals to your customers — while thinking of the environment. Read our article to learn more.
3. Out of this world: space-inspired dining.
Yeah, you read that right – space is entering the restaurant world. While the food and drink industry is already filled with exciting innovations and new technologies; resource-efficient agriculture and powdered protein will give restaurateurs a wider variety of space-inspired themes for their business. Take inspiration from other innovative ideas like zero-gravity dining and earthy minerals.
Whether you’re a seasoned restaurateur or just starting out, you can bet these food and restaurant trends will be popular with your customers in 2023. So, get ahead of the game and try some of them out this year.
Not a Partner yet?
Make Skip part of your team today.Partner Now